14 Jul 2012

Getting Turned About

No advice here today as such, but some experience. Other Aspies have meltdowns, or shutdowns, and I can't say I've really experienced this. Sure I had 'tantrums' when I was younger, but nothing I would recognise as a meltdown (but I wasn't diagnosed back them).

What I do get is hard to describe. I get a rush of adrenaline, I know that. This means I feel the need to... do something. Sometimes it means I have to go for a walk, and others it just means I pace and do something that probably looks like a constipated dance. My hands start flapping, but my elbows stay stuck to my sides.

At the same time, I start moving my head a lot and start talking, start repeating, things intended to be reassuring. I usually find something to distract myself with, or I just let it run it's not-so-short course.


I've always thought of myself of almost off the spectrum, but with enough traits to be recognised as having Asperger's Syndrome. But writing this I realise on these rare occasions, anyone could see I'm on the spectrum. But it hasn't happened in public yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment