2 Mar 2012

Hypervigilance

It is common for Aspies to suffer from hypervigilance, a state where all those fight-or-flight mechanisms are running hot. It is a state most often associated with post traumatic stress disorder. I am somewhat hypervigilant, either as a symptom of constant higher stress/adrenaline levels, or one of many causes of it.

I have yet to find a suitable coping or prevention mechanism, but I would assume that by reducing my anxiety level, switching to the sympathetic nervous system, relaxing, the hypervigilance would abate.

When there is an unexpected noise, not even a loud noise, my heart rate picks up almost before I hear it. Unless I can readily identify the cause and source, I have the urge to investigate. If I'm listening to the radio and hear people outside, I will mute the radio and listen often until they're gone. When I hear a human noise at night, despite my best efforts, my heart jumps and I find it harder to sleep. When I was younger, I used to immediately check a new place for exits and cameras, in case something happened. I know it isn't at all severe, I'm not paranoid, and I'm not afraid, but it is still there, and it affects me.

How do I deal with it? I don't get worried or stressed about hypervigilance for a start. That could possibly compound. Usually, the effects are much less when I'm in a safe environment, but when I'm not, I just identify the sound and source as best as possible and assure myself that there is nothing to worry about. In public spaces, I avoid magnification, a behaviour which looks at the small things, and not the big picture. How many times have I had to make an emergency exit from am imminent threat? None, that I recall. What about at night when I'm away from home? Earplugs. They are unbelievably helpful, trust me. And You can still hear your alarm clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment